You’re looking for harp music at your event or wedding. If your harpist asks you, “Would you like a pedal harp or a celtic harp?” and you respond, “I have no idea what that means,” then read on!
(Also known as concert harp or classical harp)
- Appearance: A pedal harp is usually about six feet tall (bigger than a celtic harp) and is a great option if you want to make a really elegant, sophisticated, and classy statement. My harp is mahogany.
- Logistics: It is a challenge to move a pedal harp up or down any number of steps or across uneven surfaces. My harp weights 80 pounds and I use a cart to transport it. Pedal harps are very sensitive to temperature changes and humidity.
- Value: $15K – $126K
- Sound: A pedal harp is often louder than a lever harp, with a rich, full tone. An amp can by used to augment the volume.
- Music: Because many pop or classical pieces have key changes or accidentals (sharps or flats not included in the key signature) in the middle of the piece, a pedal harp might be your only option if you are asking for specific pop or classical pieces. Check with your harpist for specifics.
(Also known as folk harp or lever harp)
- Appearance: A lever harp is smaller than a pedal harp. Mine is five feet tall with natural wood. It’s a great option if you want to evoke a whimsical or enchanted atmosphere.
- Logistics: A lever harp is fairly easy to move (mine weighs 26 pounds) and is a wonderful option for outdoor weddings or events. It is less sensitive to temperature changes than the pedal harp.
- Value: $500 – $5K
- Sound: A lever harp has a medium volume (louder than most people expect, but not as loud as most pedal harps) and has a bright, magical tone. An amp can by used to augment the volume.
- Music: A lever harp can play any music with minimal key changes or accidentals. This includes some classical pieces (such as Canon in D by Pachelbel) but in general is well suited to Celtic pieces, Renaissance music, and folk songs.
Stephanie Claussen has served the wedding industry in Minneapolis & St. Paul since 2000. Looking for lovely harp music for your ceremony? Consider hiring Stephanie!